Monday, September 8, 2008

Upfart: New York Kicks Ass!

Upfart is the new word for update, and so, appropriately, I will now fart-up the interesting specs from my last week and a half in New York.

I got in to town on Saturday August 30th and within 1 hour I called it, game over, mercyball: New York is next level ultimate. This city is one some other-type amazing shit. The level of activity is intense, but outside of Manhatten it actually can be kinda quiet and mellow, dare I say relaxing? I can't really describe why I like New York so much, so let me show by example, by documenting some sweet events of my splendorquest:
  • Seeing an exhibit at the Whitney about Buckminster Fuller and his life's work. My dad and I saw the last remaining Dymaxion Car as well as sketches of his plans to build bubble cities (see the picture on the right) that could float in mid-air! Fuller imagined these as spheres that were a half mile in diameter, and the volume of air would be so huge inside that when heated (via sunlight) the spheres would naturally rise due to pressure differentials. Whoa...
  • My Dad and I also found a really ritzy clothing store called San Francisco Clothing. I shouted out "Yay Area!" really loud as I opened the door but alas, it was locked! Turns out there are clothing stores in NYC that you have to get buzzed into, as in the woman at the counter needed to stare me down to make sure I was cool enough to go inside. Needless to say, I was left outside to gaze longingly at the glorious fabrics that I couldn't touch. Turns out it was all womens clothing anyway, so whatever.
  • I saw an art opening at a warehouse that featured the Miss Rockaway Armada (a bunch of hipsters drinking and wining about gentrification: played out and very had) and the What Cheer? brigade (a brass band that ROCKS!). There were two rooms of exhibits. One was a really nutso pile mountain of junk and stencils, drawings, and paintings all over this room that was a little smaller than a football field. The other was a tricked out lowrider bike, car, and speedboat by this artist Dvine. We danced a ton and I am definitely going to start the Magnificent Tin Can Orchestra when I get ot SF, and you're all invited to join.
  • Biking through Manhattan. I thought I would be prepped from biking in the Sucka Free, but this is someting else. There are no hot dog vendors running against traffic in San Francisco. There is nothing like the aggressive driving out here. And there is nothing like the blocks of bumper to bumper gridlock traffic like there is out here. It was almost too much fun, considering how dangerous it ultimately is. Don't worry, I have a helmet, in fact my friend Molly covered it with shiny stones.
Finally, I would like to share with ya'll that ultimate situations are manifesting themselves all over this trip. I day dreamed about riding a fixie in New York, and my buddy Malcolm FOUND ONE with a "FREE" sign on it. I needed to buy a helmet out here but Molly gave me hers. I keep running into people from SF, Portland, and elsewhere. I heard back from this co-op house in SF that I want to move into and they are stoked to have me step in! I found 8 dumplings for 2 dollars and the restuarant doesn't accept tips! Sarah Palin was picked as McCain's Vice Presidential running mate, just like I've been hoping for...

The point is, shit is coming together. I'm starting to believe in some of this more wierdo trippy stuff that I have typically been skeptical of and it feels good.

I'll tell you my adventures as they appear!

-J

3 comments:

Robyn said...

J. Baxter Stone,

New York Does Kiss Ass...concur...
P-town ...stagnant...but still endearing

Because of your most amazing journey so far...I thought I should share this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFoTFXxcrrw

.r(nmn)wart

(not positive that the url is going to link...good old copy paste should do though)

Peter Vidito said...

I just upfarted a little bit. Big ups from PDX, ites!

Unknown said...

oooohhwee!

You might be convincing me to move to new york.

marsh