Sunday, September 28, 2008

Minneapolisis isis

The last few days I have been relaxing in Minneapolis and reflecting in New York. I've been thinking a lot about the people who hosted me, and so I wanted to give them a shout out on the global interplex:

First, Thanks to Pops for showing me the high life in Manhattan and getting us the ballingest hotel I've ever seen. And thanks to Mom for letting him out of the house!

Molly, Corin, Ryan, Peter, Nif, Damian, Ned, and Malcolm: you all rock for giving me unfettered access to your ballin-ass pads and showing me around NYC. You all are welcome on my couch/in my bed any time.

Being in Minneapolis for the past few days has certainly helped me re-imagine my time in New York. By my last week I felt fully integrated into the city, one tiny piece of that giant machine. I felt comfortable with the New York attitude. Everyones' trying to get from point A to point B, and nothing stands in there way. And while this gnar-agro attitude is present when you pass people on the street, when I talked one on one with someone I didn't know they were for the most part nice and helpful. I didn't find New York to be as alienating as people told me it would be.

Staying in apartments, instead of hostels, was most excellent because I had quiet personal space when I needed it. As a result, I got a glimpse into what actually living in NYC would be like, and I didn't get burnt out so quick. It also allowed me to step outside of the madness and catch my breath.

I would say my four weeks was the perfect travel time--by the end I felt I had to either move in or leave. More than four weeks in any one place without an agenda is a little much for me.

New York was also a bit of a reprieve from the depression I've been dealing with and experiencing heavily in Portland. Of course, there were times on this trip where I was down, bored, tired, and soaking wet from unprecedented rain. But overall I felt more activated, present, and energized in New York than I have in Portland. I also noticed that while in New York I started to self identify as a unique, smart, creative individual. This wouldn't seem like a big deal if it didn't contrast so sharply with the way I was seeing myself in Portland. Being in and having to deal with New York was a catalyst for my own energy and ambitions.

The best part of my time in New York is how I've carried this stoked-ness with me into Minneapolis. Evenjust chillaxing in Minneapolis I have still felt content, motivated, inspired, and happy with myself. Basically NYC felt like a big wake up call.

Me and Kevin will depart to Colorado tomorrow and begin campaigning on Thursday. Previous campaigners have advice? Also, if anyone knows where we might backpack for a few days while we're down there, please share your brainchild with us.

word!
-j

2 comments:

Dan, Danielle and Sweet Baby said...

where are you in colorado?
im next door in kansas.
trip out.

i found your blog through mine through summers.
you are a hilarious writer. glad i got to see you for two seconds oh...a couple months ago.

keep thriving.

*d

Cate C. said...

where will you be campaigning in my great [swing] state? if you're rollin through boulder let me know. i'd love to say hello!
oh, and estes park area has stellar camping etc.
cate